This workshop is an introduction to Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) intended for mental health professionals who wish to acquaint themselves with the treatment.
The dialectical nature of DBT is explained via the balance between change-based technology (behavior therapy) with acceptance-based principals (validation). It highlights the structure of DBT and defines the modes and functions of comprehensive DBT.
This workshop is appropriate for mental health professionals interested in learning about DBT at an introductory level. Methods of instruction include lecture, treatment demonstrations, and practice exercises to illustrate the principles and strategies of DBT.
As a result of this training, participants will be able to understand the basics of DBT.
As a result of this training, participants will be able to:
- Explain the dialectical world view of DBT.
- Discuss the evidence for the use of DBT for various problems and populations.
- Describe the structure of treatment for individuals with multiple problems and high-risk life-threatening behaviors.
- Identify DBT treatment targets.
- Describe the basic strategies used in DBT, including problem-solving, validation and dialectical strategies.
- Identify the skills modules taught in DBT.
|9:00- 10:00||Opening ceremony (HRH princess Mona would be joining us, opening speech by Dr. Walid Sarhan)|
|10:00 – 11:30||Overview of DBT|
|11:30 – 11:45||Break|
|11:45- 13:15||DBT as Dialectics|
|13:15 – 14:15
|14:15- 15:45||Core Strategy: Problem-Solving|
|15:45 – 16:00||Break|
|16:00-17:30||Core Strategy: Validation|
|17:30-17:45||Q&A, Completion of Evaluation, & Sign-out|
|9:00 – 10:30||DBT as Skills: Structure & Overview; Mindfulness Skills|
|10:30 – 10:45||Break|
|10:45 – 12:15||Distress Tolerance Skills|
|12:15 – 13:15||Lunch|
|13:15 – 14:45||Emotion Regulation Skills|
|14:45 – 15:00
|15:00 – 16:30
|Interpersonal Effectiveness Skills|
|16:30 – 16:45||Q&A, Completion of Evaluation, & Sign-out|